Approach as a laboratory school
Development, implementation, and
transmission of creative secondary education
~Aim of being an ideal laboratory school~
(1) Promoting leading education, research and curriculum development as a Super Science High School
Since 2002, we have been certified as a Super Science High School (SSH). The SSH Research Development School Program is in its 4th phase (fiscal years 2017 - 2021), with the main goal "to develop teaching materials and construct a system for inquiry-based learning to raise future scientists and engineers who will contribute to the international community."
(2) Exploring the cutting edge of academia at a University of Tsukuba laboratory visit
All 9th graders visit the University of Tsukuba in February, with 11th graders visiting in July. They can choose from about 30 lectures and learn directly from researchers who are active at the forefront of their fields.
(3) Offering various training opportunities to future teachers and in-service teachers
- Training Base for Student Teachers
- Our school accepts student teachers from the University of Tsukuba in June and September, and provides them with valuable opportunities to foster their teaching skills. Through three-week teaching sessions, they will learn the fundamental role of school, responsibilities as teachers, and cutting-edge teaching methods implemented at our school.
- Meeting for Educational Study (held in November)
- Every year, our school hosts an educational open house for educators to share our teaching practice. Approximately 300 teachers from all over Japan come to watch our classes and then participate in discussions on efficient teaching methods.
- Offering Classes to Students in Higher Education
- Our teachers work with both the undergraduate and graduate student bodies at the University of Tsukuba in the following departments:
・Undergraduate Remedial Mathematics
・Undergraduate Remedial Biology
・Practicums related to Developmental and Special Education (Master's Department)
- Teacher License Renewal Courses
- In August, our school offers courses for the renewal of teacher's licenses. Approximately 400 teachers attend our seminars and learn about our unique teaching methods, which we call the "Tsuku-Koma Method."
- SSH Math Education Conference
- We hold annual Math Education Conference for teachers.
(4) Contributing to Society by Tsuku-Koma AKADEMEIA
We hold lectures and extension courses for citizens as part of our "Tsuku-Koma AKADEMEIA" Program, using resources from alumni, students, teachers, and the university of Tsukuba. This project is co-sponsored by Setagaya-ku and endorsed by Meguro-ku, and it is highly valued by citizens. We also provide classes to local elementary schools under a partnership agreement with Daigo Township, Ibaraki prefecture.
(5) Globalization of education through international exchange
We have increasing numbers of opportunities for international exchange by taking full advantage of being both an SSH and a UNESCO school.
- International Exchange Overseas and Students' Success
- Student research exchange at National Taichung First Senior High School, Taiwan/Exchange students with Busan International High School, Korea/Overseas training (Asia, USA)/Participation in International Science Olympiads (awards received to date include 26 gold medals, 45 silver medals, and 20 bronze medals)
- Global Exchange in Japan
- Interaction with exchange student teachers at the University of Tsukuba/ Interaction and joint classes with groups of foreign high school students (China, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand)/Interaction with groups of foreign visitors/Lectures by foreign researchers